Walk: Down City Streets
Redfern: 21 February 2015
11.00 – 12.00
- Gather at Redfern Terrace at 36 Caroline Street and The Block community mural (designed by Reko Rennie, 2013). If wet weather: Ground Floor room, Redfern Community Centre, 29-53 Hugo Street.
- Welcome to Country and talk by Gadigal elder, Uncle Chicka Madden.
- Walk guided by Lee Davison and Nathan Moran, Metropolitan Local Aboriginal Land Council
- Cross the ground in front of Redfern Community Centre (nearby Aboriginal flag mural painted by Alex Tui in 2000)
- Down Louis Street (the Block)
- Right into Vine Street past Elouera Gym and former Auntie Polly Smith Centre
- Right into Eveleigh to Holden St to former Community Development Employment Program (CDEP)
- Back onto Eveleigh past Murawina, former childcare centre
- Up to Lawson Street, Aboriginal Housing Company (Pemulwuy Project)
- Over the railway bridge, passing the 40,000 Years mural (designed by Carol Ruff, 1983)
- Down Redfern Street Laneway past GCA (formerly TNT) Towers
12.00 – 1.00
- Down Cope Street to Gadigal Information Service, home of Koori Radio (architects: Tonkin Zulaikha Greer; Cherry Pickers exterior artwork by Adam Hill).
- Near Wyanga Aboriginal Aged Care and Mission Boy Dreams mural (designed by Roy Kennedy)
- Through to Renwick Street: Aboriginal Dance Theatre, Redfern, next to the old Black Theatre site.
- Up Renwick Street to site of original NSW Aboriginal Land Council
- Cross Redfern Street and continue down Renwick Street to Metropolitan Local Aboriginal Land Council.
- Out onto George Street and back up to Redfern Street
1pm Lunch at first floor, 107 Projects, 107 Redfern Street, catered by The Gatehouse Café.
2pm Roundtable discussion amongst participants.